Lapping Film is an ultra fine and precision coated abrasive consumable for producing a super fine, highly consistent finish. As Lapping Film products are part of a highly specialised product range, with several minerals and grit sizes for different specific applications, we dedicate this article to study these features in more details.
Lapping Film: features, series and grits
The slurry coating grit deposition is surely the most relevant and characterizing common feature within the lapping film product range.
The slurry coating technology, compared with the traditional electrostatic coating of Microfinishing Film, follows a very unique principle: the microabrasive grains are mixed together with resin bond and then coated in a one step process on to the PET backing film.
Another common feature of all Lapping Film using very fine abrasive powders for superfinishing applications, is the clean room manufacturing environment to avoid any possible contamination from external elements. The coating process in a clean room is fundamental to achieve a very consistent finishing process with the highest quality standard.
Lapping Film differentiation between the various grit sizes is made by colour coding.
There is no printing on the underside because the increase in thickness from the layer of ink would strongly influence the consistency of the finish.
The schematic detailed below summarises the main features of the standard Lapping Filmseries available within the Precision Polishing portfolio:
As Lapping Film products are used for very fine and soft applications, the PET backing film is thinner compared with standard Microfinishing Film: 75 µm (3mil) vs. 125 µm (5mil).
Moreover, the backside of the film is without an anti-slip coating which is not required for technical reasons.
On request, other products with thinner PET film of less than 75µm/3mil are also available e.g. 25µm/1mil and 50µm/2mil in specific grit types and mesh sizes.
Conversion forms options:
Like every microabrasive film in the Precision Polishing product range, Lapping Films are converted into several product types such as:
- Discs and sheets
- Endless belts
Thanks to the integrated and efficient conversion process, Precision Polishing offers a fast and flexible service both on standard and customised items. Please, feel free to contact us, clicking here.
Below we identify some examples of our product range in differents sizes:
- Lapping film in rolls
- Widths: From min. of 5mm to max. jumbo roll width.
- Lengths: From min. of 1mt to max. 300mt.
- Inner cores options: 26mm i.d. plastic core, no core (hole 32mm i.d.), 76mm i.d., 76mm i.d. with 4 keys.
- Winding direction: ASO (Abrasive Side Out) or ASI (Abrasive Side In).
- Diamond rolls come with an uncoated length of plastic film at the start/finish of the roll in order not to waste expensive abrasive material when a new roll is mounted.
- Back side: plain or adhesive (PSA).
- Lapping film in discs and sheets:
- Available without (PET) or with adhesive (PSA) backing.
- Disc standard diameters are: 200mm, 203mm, 230mm, 250mm, 254mm, 300mm and 305mm.Other diameters are available on request, up to a maximum diameter of 350mm.Larger diameters may also be accommodated.
- Sheets PET max. width is the jumbo width and max. length is 1mt.
- Sheets PSA max. width is 350mm and max. length is 1mt.
- Diamond sheets and discs in grits 45 µm, 60 µm and 80µm are available up to a max. width/diameter of 230mm.
- Lapping film in endless belts:
- Width: Min. 10mm and max. the jumbo width.
- Length: Min. 320mm and max. None.
- Jointing tape positioned only on the backing
Contact us for more information about Lapping film and its main features, sizes and finishing!